Are Do-It-Yourself Wedding Flowers Right For You?

 
Are Do-It-Yourself Wedding Flowers Right For You?

diy wedding flowers

Image:MilwaukeeFlowerMarket.com

Smart couples planning a wedding today are always looking for ways to hold the line on their wedding costs. One option some consider is doing their own wedding flowers.

Do-it-yourself wedding flowers can save money, but is it right for you?

Recently, I came across an article written by David Stark, one of New York’s trendiest event planners, that explains what’s involved in the process of doing your own wedding flowers.

It’s a solid planning guideline that will help you decide what or how much you can do, and where you might need outside help.

While not discouraging you from doing your own wedding flowers, he doesn’t sugarcoat the process either. In my experience, he tells it like it is.

If you are considering doing all or part of your own wedding flowers, reading this article is definitely worth a few minutes of your time.

Do-It-Yourself Wedding Flowers: Let your creative side shine — but get ready for a workout


 

  • Christine Saunders

    Hi Greg! Great post, and great article you linked to. There have always been DIY flower brides, but its getting more attention now with the state of the economy and people trying to save money. My partner Dawn and I are both pro floral designers who saw this trend, and in order to help these brides who are considering DIY’ing their flowers, we developed FlowerDIYvas, floral design workshops for do it yourself brides. This week we are releasing a DVD of the workshop that is available on our website. Our goal is to give brides the info they need to either have a successful DIY flower experience, or to know if advance if they should hire a pro. We’ve found that about 60% of brides who have taken our workshop go on to DIY their flowers, and the remaining 40% decide its too much for them to take on and they hire a pro. Its definitely worth finding out in advance!

  • Christine Saunders

    Hi Greg! Great post, and great article you linked to. There have always been DIY flower brides, but its getting more attention now with the state of the economy and people trying to save money. My partner Dawn and I are both pro floral designers who saw this trend, and in order to help these brides who are considering DIY’ing their flowers, we developed FlowerDIYvas, floral design workshops for do it yourself brides. This week we are releasing a DVD of the workshop that is available on our website. Our goal is to give brides the info they need to either have a successful DIY flower experience, or to know if advance if they should hire a pro. We’ve found that about 60% of brides who have taken our workshop go on to DIY their flowers, and the remaining 40% decide its too much for them to take on and they hire a pro. Its definitely worth finding out in advance!

  • Rachael West

    This is truly becoming a big trend and I’m hearing of a lot of people doing it. I work in the floral industry and get asked a lot of questions on how I arrange certain floral arrangements. We still get a lot of people coming in, but there has been a decrease since the recession started taking its toll on the economy. Either way as long as the bride loves her flowers and thinks it’s beautiful that’s all that matters!

  • Rachael West

    This is truly becoming a big trend and I’m hearing of a lot of people doing it. I work in the floral industry and get asked a lot of questions on how I arrange certain floral arrangements. We still get a lot of people coming in, but there has been a decrease since the recession started taking its toll on the economy. Either way as long as the bride loves her flowers and thinks it’s beautiful that’s all that matters!

  • I agree, I would never discourage anyone from doing their own wedding flowers. Some of the most unique ideas I’ve come across have come from some of the DIY brides I’ve worked with.

  • I agree, I would never discourage anyone from doing their own wedding flowers. Some of the most unique ideas I’ve come across have come from some of the DIY brides I’ve worked with.

  • I am getting married in a few months and my soon to be wife has decided to take the route of DIY. I am a little worried, but from the amounts of DIY wedding sites I think we may be in luck.

  • Amy

    It's very neat when peach and white are combined 🙂

  • Pingback: DIY Wedding Flower Tips From a Real Bride()

  • Sandra Hopkins

    I would think that DIY flower would be splendid because it would just show how personalized your wedding will be. Shows the uniqueness. Thank you for posting this!